Saturday, October 3, 2020

Week 6 Review

The emoji video appealed to me because emojis feel so commonplace in today’s society, and I was interested in hearing more about them. One of the arguments in the video is that emojis are the equivalent of gesture, but shouldn’t be considered “words” in and of itself. I would have to agree with their argument. I think they are used to convey emotions, but they aren’t words, because the emoji itself doesn’t contain letters to create words. In addition, a single emoji can have several different meanings. Some people used certain emojis for multiple purposes, like using a peach to talk about the fruit, but it’s also used to refer to someone’s behind. Also, using full emoji instead of words can just make it more confusing. What would “🐕➔👧” convey? Did the dog walk over to the girl? Or did the dog transform into a girl? While I understand the popularity of emojis, I believe society should use them conservatively to prevent any kind of miscommunication.

"Can You Speak Emoji?", via YouTube

I've actually seen the genie meme before, and it makes me laugh every time. There's always that legend that a genie will always twist your wish to screw you over, but the wisher turning it back around on the genie makes me chuckle. He also just seems very unbothered, excited, and proud of himself when he gets around the genie's trick and I always love it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...