Sunday, October 11, 2020

Week 7 Review

The African Rhythmic Singing video was educational for me. I grew up singing in choir, and did multiple honor choirs throughout middle school and high school, so listening about different singing cultures piqued my interest. I loved hearing about the 6/8 in her voice while listening to the music in 4/4. Personally, singing in 6/8 is one of the hardest beats to keep up with, and the thought of singing in 6/8 with 4/4 music, and actually singing it well is crazy to me. I was incredibly impressed listening to the singer singing in such a difficult beat so beautifully.

Angélique Kidjo Explains Celia Cruz's Rhythmic Singing Style, via YouTube

The Indian version of Chutes and Ladders was really cool to me. I remember growing up, my grandmother had this big book, and on each page, it was a different board game you could play. Chutes and Ladders was one of them, and I remember spending hours playing the board games in that book. I was very interesting to see the educational value that the Indian version had, with ladders representing positive virtues like faith and generosity, while the snakes representing negative attributes like greed, murder, and theft. It's really cool how a game can teach kids very important values in an entertaining, easy-to-understand format.

"Snakes and Ladders", via Saturday's Course Announcements


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...