Thursday, August 27, 2020

Growth Mindset

I had never heard about Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before, but it was very inspiring after listening to her TED Talk. I can see my school work usually coming from a fairly fixed-mindset; I usually just try to get things done, but I don’t take the time to think about how I could make it better. I do, however, have a growth mindset when it comes to music and cooking. I auditioned for honor choirs all throughout middle school and high school, and I always tried to modify my breathing or my dynamics to make my singing as compelling as possible. I love to cook when I get the chance; while I usually look up a recipe, I often will modify the recipe by adding extra ingredients and different seasonings as I go to grow the dish and make it taste better.


I think my biggest challenge when learning new things is my memory. With my short-term memory loss, it can be difficult to get information into my long-term memory. Through that, I’ve come to realize that repetition is very important. I sometimes get frustrated when I can’t remember things, but the idea of not knowing things *yet*, but I will soon, can be very beneficial for me. I’m excited for most of my classes this semester, but my Capstone class is going to be a lot of work. Through the growth mindset strategy, hopefully I can stay on top of the class and pass with flying colors.


“Sustainable Animation”, via Giphy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...