Friday, September 11, 2020

Feedback Strategies

I really like this article because I am always unsure when giving feedback. I want to help others with my feedback, but I always fear I come across as rude or judgmental to the other person. I was pretty surprised to read about how prefacing feedback with “I’m giving you these comments because I have very high expectations and I know that you can reach them,” can be so effective. A “compliment sandwich” seems to make sense on why it’s bad, and I think many people don’t even realize they’re doing it. Using a compliment feels like a natural segue way into conversation, but it’s surprising how something that is intended as a positive can turn out to be such a big negative.


The Difference Between Praise and Feedback

I found it really interesting how parents constantly giving their kids praise could actually harm them in the long run. Continuous praise for everything a child does can make him or her feel as though the only thing that matters is doing a good job, not just enjoying what they are doing. Once again, a parent praising their child seems like a very natural thing to do; every parent wants their child to succeed. However, just like the previous article, an action that is intended to be positive, like praising your child, can actually turn into a negative as the child gets older.


"Appreciation Feedback" via Giphy


No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...