Friday, August 28, 2020

Week 2 Reading Overview

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Jewish Fairy Tales

Week 4: Noah and the Ark


Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Twenty-Two Goblins

Week 6: Turkish Fairy Tales


Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Brer Rabbit

Week 9: More Brer Rabbit


Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: British North America

Week 11: American Indian Fairy Tales


Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Alice In Wonderland

Week 13: Nursery Rhymes


Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Librivox

Week 15: Italian


I’m looking forward to especially two units: the Classical/Biblical and British/Celtic units. Fairy tales sound appealing to me, partly because I haven’t read or listened to fairy tales in a long time. I think having the opportunity to read a bunch of fairy tales will help me feel like a kid again!


I also have an interest in the magical and phantasmagorical aspects of fairy tales, so I am looking forward to reading Jewish fairy tales. I think my favorite unit will be Alice in Wonderland, however. While I haven’t heard of the entire story of Alice in Wonderland, I have been to Disneyland several times and been on the ride that shares its name and watched the movie. I’m excited to read more in-depth about Alice’s adventure from a more literary and academic perspective! The following image is from the Alice in Wonderland story, which in my opinion is a perfect snapshot to sum up the craziness of her adventure.

“Alice in Wonderland” illustration by Sir John Tenniel, via the Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...