Friday, September 18, 2020

Extra Credit Reading Notes: Nursery Rhymes

-Songs, Part 1
“1. I AM a gold lock.
2. I am a gold key.
1. I am a silver lock.
2. I am a silver key.
1. I am a brass lock.
2. I am a brass key.
1. I am a lead lock.
2. I am a lead key.
1. I am a monk lock.
2. I am a monk key!”
-Played in call-and-response
-#1 claims “I am” various things
-#2 says the same, but is the complement to the #1’s object (lock/key)
-#1 continues, changing the adjective, eventually using one that will make #2 look silly
-#2 falls for it, looking silly
-Can write something similar to make #2 say something else funny

-Tales
“(Wikipedia: TOM, Tom, the piper's son,
Stole a pig, and away he run!
The pig was eat, and Tom was beat,
And Tom went roaring down the street.”
-Short and sweet rhyme
-Tom (the piper’s son) steals something 
-Can be modernized by changing the son’s name, the father’s job, and what the son steals

Source: The Nursery Rhyme Book edited by Andrew Lang and illustrated by L. Leslie Brooke (1897)

"Assorted Book in Book Shelf" via Unsplash



No comments:

Post a Comment

Week 11 Story: A Rocky Rescue

Brother and sister Mat and Sharn walked through the forest. They were going to their secret hideaway, a beautiful spring deep in the trees. ...